• ⅓ cup unsalted butter, softened
• ¾ cup sugar
• 2 eggs
• ⅔ cup heavy whipping cream, half-and-half or 5-oz. can evaporated milk
• 1 tsp. vanilla
• 2-3 cups mashed, cooked butternut squash
1. Peel and seed squash.
2. Cut in cubes and bring to a boil in saucepan.
3. Boil until fork tender.
4. Drain squash.
5. Mash with a potato masher.
6. Set aside.
7. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
8. Beat in eggs, cream and vanilla.
9. Stir in squash (mixture will be thin).
10. Pour into a greased 11x7x2” baking dish.
11. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes or until almost set.
When doubling the recipe, bake in a 9x13" glass baking dish for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes before adding topping. Bake an additional 10 minutes.
Preparation time does not include time required to boil and mash butternut squash.
You cannot add the topping on top of the squash before the casserole bakes almost completely done, or it will sink into the casserole and you will not be able to see it!