3 slices good quality white bread, crusts removed, torn into ¼ inch pieces
6 tbsp unsalted butter (plus extra for dish)
2 ¾ cups milk
¼ cup all purpose flour
1 tsp kosher salt
⅛ black pepper
⅛ cayenne pepper
2 ¼ cups grated sharp white cheddar
1 cup (4oz) grated gruyere cheese (find in fancy cheese section)
½ pound elbow macaroni
1. Heat over to 375º. Butter a casserole dish; set aside. Place bread crumbs in a medium bowl. In a small sauce pan over medium heat, melt 2 tbsp butter. Pour butter into the bowl w/bread and toss. set aside.
2. In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, heat milk.
3. Melt remaining 4 tbsp butter in a high sided skillet over medium heat. When butter boils, add flour. Cook while stirring one minute.
4. Slowly pour hot milk into flour/butter mix while whisking. Whisk constantly until it bubbles and becomes thick
5. Remove pan from heat. Stir in salt, nutmeg, black pepper, cayenne peppers 1½ cups white cheddar, ¾ cups gruyere. Set cheese sauce aside.
6. Fill a large sauce pan with water. Bring to boil. Add macaroni, cook, until outside of pasta is done and inside of pasta is underdone (2 to 3 mins short). Transfer to a colander, rinse under cold water, drain well. Stir macaroni into the cheese sauce.
7. Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle remaining ¾ cups cheddar cheese and ¼ cup gruyere: scatter breadcrumbs on top. Bake until browned on top, about 30 mins. Transfer to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes, serve--Bring this to a potluck and its sure to be a favorite!