1.5 C plus 1/2 C blanched sliced almonds, toasted
3/4 C (3 1/4 oz) all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
4 large eggs
1 1/4 C (8 3/4 oz) plus 2 TBS sugar
1 TBS plus 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest (2 lemons).
3/4 tsp almond extract
5 TBS unslated butter, melted
1/3 C veggy oil
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat to 300 F.
2. Grease 9 inch round cake pan and line with parchment paper.
3. Pulse 1 1/2 C almonds, flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in food processor until almonds are finely ground, 5 to 10 pulses.
4. Transfer almond mixture to bowl.
5. Process eggs, 1 1/4 C sugar, 1 TBS lemon zest, and almond extract in processor until very pale yellow, about 2 mins.
6. With processor running, add melted butter and oil in steady stream until incorporated.
7. Add almond mixture and pulse to combine, 4 to 5 pulses.
8. Transfer batter to prepared pan.
9. Using fingers, combine remaining 2 TBS sugar and remaining 1/2 tsp lemon zest in small bowl until fragrant, 5 to 10 seconds.
10. Sprinkle top of cake evenly with remaining 1/3 C almonds followed by sugar-zest mixture.
11. Bake until center of cake is set and bounces back when gently pressed and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 55 mins to 1 hour 5 mins, rotating pan after 40 mins.
12. Let cake cool in pan on wire rack for 15 mins. Run thin knife around edge of pan.
13. Invert cake onto greased wire rack, discarding parchment, and reinvert cake onto second wire rack.
14. Let cake cool completely on rack, about 2 hours, before serving. (Cake can be stored at room temperature for up to 3 days).