1. Scald milk and then combine with sugar, salt and shortening. Cool to lukewarm.
2. As above is cooling, prepare yeast.
3. When milk mixture is cool, add about 2 cups of the flour and the lemon extract. Beat until smooth.
4. Add eggs, beat well. Stir in softened yeast.
5. Add fruits and peels. Stir in remaining flour. Knead on lightly floured surface.
6. Place in a greased bowl, cover and let rise (about 2 hours).
7. When risen, divide dough to form three loaves, lightly brush with butter. Cover and let rise.
8. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. F.
9. Brush with butter.
Loaves freeze well.