• 2/3 cup oil
• 2/3 cup flour
• 2 cups onions
• 1 cup celery chopped
• ½ cup green pepper, chopped
• 4 cloves, garlic
• ¼ cup parsley, chopped
• ¼ cup green onion tops, chopped
• About ¼ cup hot water
1. First, make a roux. Mix oil and flour in a 4 cup measure. Microwave on high, 6-7 minutes. Stir at 6 minutes (Roux will be light brown). It will need to cook 30 seconds to 1 minute more to reach a dark brown color. It will be very hot.
2. Add onion, celery, and green pepper to Roux in the measuring cup. Stir and return to microwave. Saute on high 3 minutes.
3. Add garlic, parsley, and green onion to Roux. Stir and return to microwave and saute on high 2 minutes. You should have about 3 ¾ cups of Roux now. If any oil rises to top, pour it off.
4. Slowly add enough hot water to bring Roux to 4 cup mark. Stir.
5. You can add meat or seafood, or can freeze until ready to use.
1. Cook a 2 ½ lb chicken, strain and save the stock. Take chicken off the bone and chop.
2. Add the following ingredients to Roux in a large pot or casserole dish:
a. 4 cups hot water
b. 3 cups chicken stock
c. 2 tsp salt
d. ½ tsp pepper
e. ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
3. Cover and cook on High in microwave 10 minutes or on top of stove for 30-35 minutes. Add cut up chicken and 1 lb sausage, cut in 1 in slices.
4. Cook on high in microwave for 10 minutes or on top of stove for 30 minutes. Serve over rice
1. In large casserole dish or Dutch oven, put the Roux and add the following ingredients:
• 1 ½ quarts hot water
• 2 tsp salt
• 1 tsp cayenne
• ½ tsp pepper
• 2 lbs shrimp, raw and peeled
• ¼ cup green onion tops, chopped.
2. Microwave on high 16 minutes. Stir every 5 minutes or cook all except shrimp and onions 30 minutes on top of stove. Add shrimp and simmer until shrimp are pink and done. Sprinkle onion tops on gumbo when serving over rice.