2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 medium red bell pepper, medium dice
1 medium yellow onion, medium dice
2 medium garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
1 lb ground turkey
3 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp kosher salt
½ tsp dried oregano
½ tsp ground cumin
⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
⅛ tsp ground cinnamon
1 (28-oz) can diced tomatoes
1 cup low sodium chicken broth or stock
2 (14-oz) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 bay leaf
Shredded cheddar cheese for serving
Sour cream for serving
Tortilla chips for serving
1. Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering.
2. Add the bell pepper, onion, and garlic, season with salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables have softened, about 5 to 8 minutes.
3. Increase heat to medium high, add the turkey, and cook, breaking it up into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink and is just cooked through, about 4 to 6 minutes.
4. Add all the spices, stir to coat turkey and vegetables, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
5. Add tomatoes and their juice as well as the broth, stir to combine, and bring to a simmer.
6. Add the beans and return to a simmer.
7. Reduce the heat to medium low, add the bay leaf, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the flavors meld, about 30 minutes.
8. Remove bay leaf, taste, and season with additional salt as needed.
9. Serve with cheese, sour cream, and chips, for topping.