8 oz bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
½ C unsalted butter
1 ½ ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
½ C finely crushed hard peppermint candies
6 Tb granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp peppermint extract
1 ½ C all-purpose flour
¾ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
½ C semisweet chocolate morsels
Additional coarsely crushed hard peppermint candies, divided
½ C powdered sugar (optional)
2 ½ tsp milk (optional)
½ C semisweet chocolate morsels, melted (optional)
• Combine first 3 ingredients in a large saucepan.
• Cook over low heat until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth, stirring occasionally.
• Remove from heat, and stir in ½ C crushed peppermint and 6 Tb sugar. Let co0l 30 minutes.
• Add eggs to melted chocolate, 1 at a time, stirring well.
• Stir in extracts.
• Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to chocolate moisture, stirring until combined.
• Stir in chocolate morsels.
• Cover and chill dough 2 hours or until firm enough to shape.
• Shape dough into 1 ½” balls. Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
• Bake at 325° for 12-13 minutes or until cookies are puffed and cracked on top.
• Sprinkle coarsely crushed peppermints onto cookies; press candy lightly into cookies.
• Let cookies cool 5 minutes on baking sheets. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
• Whisk together powdered sugar and milk; drizzle over cooled cookies, if desired.
• Drizzle with melted chocolate, if desired.
• Sprinkle cookies again with chopped peppermint, if desired.
• Let cookies stand until glaze and chocolate are firm.