• Cream shortening; gradually add sugar, beating at medium speed of an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
• Add molasses and water and beat well.
• Combine flour, salt, soda, and spices; add to creamed mixture, beating well.
• Cover and chill 8 hours.
• Preheat oven to 375º
• Divide dough in half; store 1 portion in refrigerator.
• Roll other portion to ¼ inch thickness on a lightly floured surface.
• Cut with a 3 inch cookie cutter and place on ungreased cookie sheets.
• Bake for 8 minutes.
• Cool 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks and cool completely.
• Repeat procedure with remaining dough.
• Using a paintbrush, paint assorted designs with glaze on cookies.
• Decorate with assorted candies.
Yields: 4 dozen
To prepare glaze:
• Combine sugar, juice and water.
• Tint as desired with paste food coloring.
Yields: 2/3 Cup