• Preheat oven to 350°.
• Cream shortening, sugar, eggs, and flavorings.
• In glass bowl, make paste of cocoa and food coloring.
• Add to 1st mixture.
• Alternately add flour and salt with buttermilk.
• In a small bowl, mix soda and vinegar and add to batter.
• Pour batter into 2 (9”) cake pans.
• Bake for 20-25 minutes.
• Let cool completely before frosting.
To prepare frosting:
• On medium heat, cook milk, flour and salt till thick, stirring constantly.
• Allow to cool completely. You may put in the refrigerator to cool, but the mixture cannot be warm at all.
• Cream the shortening with the sugar.
• Add flavorings.
• Combine the cooled mixture with the shortening mixture and beat well. Frost cake.