For the Meatballs:
1.5 lbs. ground beef
¼ cup cilantro, chopped finely
¼ cup long grain rice
1 teaspoon ground cumin (or chili powder - either spice is great)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 egg, lightly beaten
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
For the Soup:
2 (32 ounce) containers of vegetable broth
4 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 medium-sized onion, chopped
2 tablespoons chipotle Sauce
1 bay leaf
½ teaspoon pickled jalapeño peppers, seeds removed and finely diced
1 pickled serrano pepper, seeds removed and finely diced
¼ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon pepper
3 large potatoes, cut into large chunks
fresh lime juice
cilantro for garnish (optional)
1. In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, cilantro, rice, cumin, oregano, egg, salt, and pepper. Shape the meat mixture into individual meatballs and set aside. The meat mixture should yield approximately 20 meatballs about 2 tablespoons each in size.
2. In a large pot, add 1/4 cup of the vegetable broth, carrots, and onions. Cook for about 7 minutes over medium-high heat. Then add remaining vegetable broth, chipotle sauce, bay leaf, jalapeño peppers, serrano pepper, salt, pepper, and potatoes to the pot. Bring to a boil over high heat.
3. While the soup is working on coming to a boil, lightly brown the meatballs (about 10 minutes).
4. Once the soup is boiling, carefully add in the meatballs. Then reduce the heat to medium, cover, and cook until potatoes are tender. This should take about 20 minutes.
5. Once the albondigas soup is finished cooking, remove the bay leaf, and serve with a splash of lime juice. Garnish with cilantro.