1 cup warm milk
1 tbsp yeast
2 eggs, room temperature
1/3 cup butter, melted
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, almost melted
1 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 cup heavy cream, to pour over risen rolls (optional)
1 package cream cheese
1/3 cup butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tbsp vanilla
1. Pour warm milk into the bowl of a stand mixer and sprinkle the yeast on top. Allow to sit until yeast is dissolved (about 5 minutes).
2. Add the eggs, butter, salt, and sugar.
3. Add the flour and mix until ingredients are just combined. Let the mixture rest for 5 minutes so the flour can soak up the liquid.
4. Knead the dough in the mixer for 5 to 7 minutes, or until it is elastic and smooth. The dough will be tacky and will still be sticking to the sides of the bowl. DON'T add more flour at this point!
5. Spray a large bowl with cooking spray.
6. Using a rubber spatula, remove the dough from the mixer bowl and place it in the large greased bowl.
7. Cover the bowl with a towel. Allow to rise in a warm place until doubled, 45 minutes to an hour. Don't leave the dough to rise too long or the rolls will be airy.
8. While the dough is rising, prepare the filling. In a medium bowl, combine the soft butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Mix until well combined. Set aside.
9. Place the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Lightly sprinkle flour over the top of the dough for rolling out. Roll the dough into a 12x15 in rectangle.
10. Spread the cinnamon filling on top of the rolled out dough.
11. Starting along the long edge, roll the dough up jelly roll style.
12. Cut the dough to desired size and place in a greased 9x13 in pan.
13. Cover the rolls and allow to rise for 20 minutes, or until nearly doubled.
14. Preheat the oven to 375º.
15. Optional - Warm the heavy cream until the chill is off, but don't make it hot! Pour the cream over the top of the risen rolls, allowing it to soak down in and around the rolls. This makes for especially gooey rolls.
16. Bake for 17-19 minutes, or until the rolls are lightly golden brown and the center rolls are cooked through.
17. While the rolls are cooling, prepare the frosting. Combine the cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer. Mix well. Add vanilla and powdered sugar. Beat until combined.
18. Spread frosting over the cooled rolls.