1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 lbs cubed stew meat
4 tablespoons butter
1 onion, chopped
1 red pepper, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb button mushroom, wash and leave whole
1 lb white pearl onion, peeled
4 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
2 cups red wine
1 bay leaf
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1. In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt and ground black pepper.
2. Coat the beef cubes with this mixture.
3. Melt the butter in cast iron pot over medium high heat.
4. Add the meat and brown well on all sides.
5. Add the onion, carrots, mushrooms, red pepper, and garlic to it.
6. Saute for 5 to 10 minutes, or until onion is tender.
7. Add the wine, bay leaf, parsley, and thyme.
8. Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 2 1/2 hours.
9. Remove cover and bake for 30 more minutes.
10. If needed add more wine, chicken broth, or water.