1. Combine the cornmeal, self rising flour, sugar, salt, cayenne pepper, and garlic in a large bowl.
2. Whisk until everything is lump free then toss in the diced onions.
3. Add in the buttermilk ( or substitution), and egg.
4. Mix the ingredients until well combined, but don't over mix.
5. Pour the oil into a large pan, and heat the oil over medium heat.
6. Once the oil is hot, start spooning it the batter.
7. Fry the hush puppies until they are golden brown.
8. Remove the hush puppies from the oil, and place them on a paper towel lined plate.