1. Preheat oven to 350º. Mix together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Beat in the egg, then stir in the water and molasses.
4. Gradually stir the sifted ingredients into the molasses mixture.
5. Shape dough into 1" sized balls, and roll them in the remaining 4 tablespoons of sugar.
6. Place the cookies 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
7. Bake for 10-12 minutes in the preheated oven.
8. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
9. Store in an airtight container.