2 pkgs (each 10 oz/24 g) fresh spinach
1/3 cup butter
3 onions, chopped
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
6 cups milk
2 tsp dried basil
salt to taste
1 tsp pepper, hot pepper flakes or tabasco
4 cups macaroni, cooked
3 cans tuna (each 7 1/2 oz/ 213 g), drained and broken into chunks
2 cups shredded OLD cheddar cheese
2 tbsp lemon juice
3 cups fresh bread crumbs
1 cup shredded old cheddar cheese
1 tbsp melted butter
1 tbsp mustard
1.Grease two 8" square baking dishes
2. Rinse spinach, shake off excess water and cook, covered, (with just the water clinging to the leaves) over med heat for approx 5 mins. Drain. Squeeze out as much liquid as possible, chop and set aside.
3. In a large saucepan, melt butter over med heat. Add onions and cook until softened. Stir in flour, cook, stirring often for 3 mins without browning.
4. Gradually whisk in milk until smooth. Cook, whisking often for 15 mins or until thickened. Reduce heat to low. Season with basil, salt and pepper.
5. Cook macaroni ( fusilli, elbow, or penne) until tender but firm. Drain and rinse in cold water. Return to pot.
6 Add sauce, spinach, tuna, 2 cups shredded cheese and lemon juice to macaroni. Toss together. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Divide into prepared pans.
7. TOPPING - Toss together bread crumbs, 1 cup shredded cheese, melted butter and mustard and sprinkle over casserole.
Bake at 350º F for 20 mins loosely covered or 25 mins uncovered until golden
Can be prepared and refrigerated for 1 day or frozen up to 2 months. Thaw completely. Bake 25 - 30 mins longer, uncovered only the last 10 mins