1 1/4 lbs. smoked ham shanks
1 lb. dried split peas, rinsed
1 large onion, quartered
3 medium carrots, thickly sliced
2 large celery stalks with leaves, thickly sliced
1 bay leaf
2 sprigs fresh parsley
3 qts. water
1/2 tsp. chervil
1/2 tsp. summer savory
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. basil
2 c. chicken stock
1. In a large soup kettle, combine ham shanks, peas, onion, carrots, celery, bay leaf, parsley and water. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
2. Remove cover, add chervil, summer savory, salt, pepper, basil, and chicken stock. Return to boil and simmer an additional 2 hours.
3. Remove ham shanks; discard skin and bone and pick meat into small chunks. Set aside.
4. Strain soup through a large sieve or colander, pressing vegetables through with a large spoon. Return reserved meat to soup.
5. If soup is too thick, additional water or chicken stock may be added.
6. Pour into clean quart jars, leaving about 3 inches of head room. Cover tightly and freeze.