For the Fritters:
2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 T. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
3/4 cup apple cider
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 T. unsalted butter, melted
3 cups vegetable or peanut oil
For the Glaze:
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1/4 cup apple cider
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1. Spread prepared apples in single layer on paper towel–lined baking sheet and pat thoroughly dry with paper towels.
2. Combine flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in large bowl.
3. Whisk cider, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla extract in medium bowl until combined.
4. Stir apples into flour mixture.
5. Stir in cider mixture until incorporated.
6. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat to 350º F.
7. Use 1/3-cup measure to transfer 5 heaping portions of batter to oil.
8. Press batter lightly with back of spoon to flatten. Fry, adjusting burner as necessary to maintain oil temperature between 325º F and 350º F, until deep golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
9. Transfer fritters to wire rack set inside rimmed baking sheet. Bring oil back to 350º F and repeat with remaining batter. Let fritters cool 5 minutes.
10. Meanwhile, whisk confectioners’ sugar, cider, cinnamon, and nutmeg in medium bowl until smooth.
11. Top each fritter with 1 heaping tablespoon glaze. Let glaze set 10 minutes. Serve.