1 Tbsp (15 ml) coconut or olive oil
1 small onion, diced (150 g)
4 cloves garlic, minced (2 Tbsp or 12 g)
1 Tbsp (6 g) fresh grated ginger (or 1 tsp ground)
1/2 cup (45 g) broccoli florets (or green bell pepper), diced
1/2 cup (64 g) diced carrots
1/4 cup (45 g) diced tomato
1/3 cup (28 g) snow peas (loosely cut)
1 Tbsp (8 g) curry powder
optional: Pinch cayenne or 1 dried red chili, diced (for heat)
2 14-ounce (396 g) cans light coconut milk (sub full-fat for richer texture)
1 cup (240 ml) veggie broth (DIY or store-bought)
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
1 14-ounce (396 g) can light coconut milk
1 cup (170 g) white quinoa, rinsed in a fine mesh strainer*
optional: 1 Tbsp (15 ml) agave nectar
FOR SERVING optional
Fresh lemon juice
Cilantro, mint, and/or basil
Red pepper flake
1. If serving with coconut quinoa, begin by washing thoroughly in a fine mesh strainer. Add to a medium saucepan over medium heat and toast for 3 minutes. Add 1 can light coconut milk and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the quinoa is light, fluffy and the liquid is absorbed. Set aside until serving.
2. In the meantime, heat a large saucepan or pot to medium heat and add 1 Tbsp coconut oil. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, carrot, broccoli and a pinch each salt and pepper and stir. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened Ė about 5 minutes.
3. Add curry powder, cayenne (or chili pepper), veggie stock, coconut milk, another healthy pinch of salt and stir. Bring to a simmer then reduce heat slightly and continue cooking for 10-15 minutes.
4. Add the snow peas and tomatoes in the last 5 minutes so they donít overcook.
5. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. I added another pinch or two of salt.
6. Serve over coconut quinoa (see other options below in notes) and garnish with fresh lemon juice and herbs.
*An alternative to coconut quinoa would be plain quinoa, millet, coconut rice, or white or brown rice.
*Curry slightly adapted from Tyler Florence
*Coconut quinoa adapted from Cookie and Kate