1. Wash the chicken in ½ cup of lime juice or vinegar. Remove extra fat, skin or feathers.
2. Par boil chicken in large pot. Cover in an inch of water for a quick (about 10 minutes) boil on high heat. Add salt and pepper to the water. Keep an eye on the pot and add a little more water as it boils down.
3. While the meat is cooking, do the following:
- Peel and cut potatoes into medium cubes. Place in a bowl of tap water until ready to put into pot. (To prevent turning brown.)
- Cut onion into medium slices.
- Cut celery stalks into medium to small pieces
- Crush and finely cut garlic cloves
4. After about 10 minutes, remove the meat from heat before it reaches desired tenderness.
5. Throw away broth and rinse meat thoroughly. The final soup should be clear and free of particles.
6. Put freshly rinsed meat in a large pot.. Add potatoes, onion, garlic, whole allspice and vinegar.
7. Cover in water an inch above the ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste.
8. Bring to a boil. When potatoes are almost done, add celery.
9. Remove from heat when potatoes are tender (translucent) but be sure not to boil the celery too much. (Keep a slight crunch.)
10. Squeeze one lime in the pot. Slice and save the second lime to garnish or add additional flavor to individual servings.