1 large russet potato, peeled, finely grated on a microplane, and wrung dry in a clean towel
3/4 cup freshly grated horseradish
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 crispy shallots (recipe below)
Zest of 1 lemon
3 tablespoons chopped chives
6 (6-ounce) halibut fillets 2+ inches thick
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 250°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Stir together potato, horseradish, mayo, shallots, lemon zest, chives, salt, and pepper.
3. Season fish with salt and pepper. Pat a thick layer of crust mixture on each fillet.
4. Generously grease a large sauté pan with oil and place over medium-high heat.
5. Place fillets, crust-side down, in the pan and brown for 3 to 5 minutes. Don't touch or move them until the crust starts to turn golden-brown ad caramelized around the edges.
6. Once browned, remove fish and transfer to prepared pan.
7. Before serving, cook fish in a 250°F oven for 30 minutes.
1. Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
2. Heat a medium sauté pan over medium-low heat. Cook shallots and oil until shallots are medium brown and crispy, about 20 minutes.
3. Transfer to prepared pan and sprinkle with salt. Store shallots in a container with a tight-fitting lid at room temperature for up to 3 days.