1 ½ teaspoons unsalted butter
1 ½ teaspoons vegetable oil
1 pound yellow onions (4 small or 3 medium), sliced 1/4-inch thick
½ teaspoon light brown sugar
1 cup port, preferably ruby
8 ounces gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
3 tablespoons milk
⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Ground black pepper
¼ cup toasted walnuts, chopped fine
Extra-virgin olive oil, for serving
1 recipe Toasted Bread for Bruschetta (see related recipe)
FOR THE TOAST
1 loaf country bread with thick crust (about 10 by 5 inches, ends discarded), sliced crosswise into into 3/4-inch-thick pieces
½ medium garlic clove, peeled
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1. Heat butter and oil in 10-inch non-stick skillet over high heat. When foaming subsides, add onions, sugar, and ¼ teaspoon salt; stir to coat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions soften and begin to release some moisture, about 5 minutes.
2. Reduce heat to medium; cook, stirring frequently, until onions are deeply browned and sticky, about 35 minutes (if onions are sizzling or scorching, reduce heat; if onions are not browning after 15 minutes, increase heat).
3. Stir in port and continue to cook until port reduces to glaze consistency, 4 to 6 minutes.
2. Using fork, mash gorgonzola cheese and milk together in medium bowl until smooth, spreadable consistency is formed. Stir in cayenne, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, and walnuts. Divide cheese mixture evenly among slices of toast and spread to edges. Top with onions and distribute evenly over surface of cheese. Sprinkle with black pepper to taste, drizzle with olive oil, and serve.
FOR THE TOAST:
1. Adjust oven rack so it is about 4 inches from heating element and heat broiler. Place bread on foil-lined baking sheet.
2. Broil until bread is deep golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Flip and repeat on second side.
3. Lightly rub 1 side of slices with garlic and brush with olive oil. Season to taste with salt.