Vegetable oil, for cooking
2 Tbsp butter
1 small onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 celery stalks, chopped
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
Salt and pepper, to taste
4 cups chicken stock
4 cups broccoli florets
1 cup half and half cream
1 cup shredded old cheddar cheese
1. In a medium pot, heat a drizzle of oil along with the butter over medium-high heat.
2. Add the onion, carrot and celery and cook for 4-5 minutes, until soft.
3. Add the flour, season with salt and pepper and stir to coat the vegetables. A
4. Add the chicken stock and broccoli and bring to a simmer; cook for 20 minutes, or until the broccoli is very tender.
5. Add the cream and puree with a hand-held immersion blender right in the pot.
6. Add the cheese, let sit for a minute, and puree again until smooth. (Alternatively, puree in batches in a blender.) Season
with salt and pepper, if it needs it