2 cups wheat berries
8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons ghee
2 small onions, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups homemade or store-bought low-sodium chicken stock
1 cup millet
3/4 cup golden raisins, chopped
1 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt or labneh
3/4 cup peeled, diced cucumber
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Bagged Lemons 3 Lb
1 cup flat-leaf parsley sprigs, chopped
1 cup pomegranate seeds
3/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
1.Soak wheat berries in water overnight. Alternatively, bring wheat berries and enough water to cover by 2 inches to a boil in a medium saucepan. Cover, remove from heat, and let stand 1 hour. Drain and set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a large, ovenproof braiser, heat ghee over medium-high. Add chicken, skin-side down, and cook until deep golden brown, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Drain all but 1/4 cup fat from pot.
3. Reduce heat to medium, add onions and garlic, and cook until soft and translucent, about 12 minutes. Add reserved wheat berries and cook, stirring, about 3 minutes. Add stock; season with salt and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil, cover, and transfer to oven. Cook for 45 minutes.
4. Carefully remove pot from oven and stir in millet and raisins. Place chicken, skin-side up, in pot. Cover, return to oven, and cook until grains are tender and liquid has evaporated, 45 to 55 minutes.
5. In a small bowl, combine yogurt, cucumber, mint, and lemon juice; season with salt and pepper.
6. Remove pilaf from oven and sprinkle with parsley, pomegranate seeds, and almonds. Serve with yogurt sauce.