4 cups chicken stock
2 cups half-and-half
2½ tsp salt
1¼ cups coarsely ground cornmeal (polenta)
2 T olive oil
4 (4 ounce) links hot Italian sausage
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
1 red onion, sliced
1 tsp dried oregano
4 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup dry white wine
1 cup basil marinara sauce
¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
¼ cup butter
ground black pepper to taste
5 large basil leaves, rolled and thinly sliced
1. Combine chicken stock, half-and-half, and 1½ tsp salt in a large saucepan; cover and bring to a boil. Whisk in polenta. Reduce heat to low; cook, whisking often, until polenta is soft, about 15 minutes.
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add sausage links; cook, turning often, until brown on all sides, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
3. Stir remaining 1 teaspoon salt, red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, red onion, and oregano into the skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until onion is translucent, about 6 minutes. Add garlic; cook and stir for 1 minute.
4. Reduce heat to low; pour in white wine. Stir in marinara sauce.
5. Slice sausages and return to the skillet. Cook, covered, until no longer pink in the center, about 3 minutes.
6. Stir ½ cup Parmesan cheese and butter into polenta until melted. Season with black pepper. Divide polenta among 4 serving plates. Top with sausage and pepper mixture. Garnish with remaining ¼ cup Parmesan cheese and basil.