2 1/2 c flour
1/2 t salt
1 t vanilla
1 c buttermilk
2 T cocoa
1 bottle red food coloring (1 oz)
1 c butter, softened
2 c sugar
1 1/2 t baking soda
1 T cider vinegar or white vinegar
1/2 c butter, softened
1 8 oz pkg cream cheese, softened
1 tea vanilla
3 1/2 c powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350º. Grease and flour 2 9 inch cake pans. Set aside.
2. In medium bowl, combine flour and salt, use fork to mix well. In another bowl, stir vanilla into buttermilk. In a small bowl, combine cocoa and red food coloring, mashing to make a smooth, thick paste. In large bowl, beat butter at low speed for 1 minute, until creamy and soft. Add sugar. Beat well for 3-4 minutes, scrape now and then. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating after each addition, until mixture is creamy, fluffy and smooth. Scrape cocoa-food coloring paste into batter. Beat to mix evenly. Beat at low speed and mix only until incorporated. Add 1/2 of milk. Beat on low speed and mix until liquid disappears. Repeat with 1/3 flour, then remaining milk and remaining flour. In small bowl, combine baking soda and vinegar. Stir well. Using wooden spoon, mix into batter, folding it in quickly but gently by hand.
3. Scrape batter into prepared pans. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until layers spring back.
4. Cool cakes in pans on wire racks for 15 minutes. Turn out onto plate. Cool completely.
5. Mix frosting ingredients together. Beat well and spread on cooled cakes.