1 large Butternut Squash
1 lb. Sausage (casings removed)
½ Onion, diced
1 Clove Garlic, minced
½ tsp. Marjoram
1 tsp. Fennel Seed
2 Apples, peeled, cored and chopped
Salt and Black pepper (to taste)
¼ c. Almonds, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF.
2. Cut the squash in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Place the squash face side down on a foil lined baking sheet.
3. Place in the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes, until the squash is fork tender.
4. While the squash is baking brown the sausage in a skillet over medium high heat, breaking it apart as you go. Add the onions and continue cooking until the onions are translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
5. Add the apples and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
6. Add the garlic, marjoram, and fennel seeds and cook for another 1-2 minutes, until fragrant. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from the heat and set aside.
7. When the squash is done cooking remove from the oven. Turn the squash right side up and scoop out some of the insides, making a trough. Take the scooped out squash and stir it into the sausage mixture.
8. Spoon the sausage mixture into the butternut squash halves, dividing equally. Top with the chopped almonds.
9. Place the squash back in the oven and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes, until it begins to brown. Remove from the oven and serve.