4 small pears
3 cups water
1 cup red wine
2 cups sugar
1 cup honey
1 lemon, halved
3 cinnamon sticks
1 vanilla bean
1 package puff pastry, thawed
6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup caramel sauce
1. Peel and core the pears from the bottom, leaving the stems in place.
2. In a large saucepan, add the water, wine, sugar, honey, lemon, cinnamon sticks, cloves and vanilla bean. Place the pears in the poaching liquid and cook until just before tenderness, about 15 to 18 minutes. Allow pears to cool completely in the liquid.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
4. Roll out puff pastry, and cut four 3-inch circles in the dough. Cut all remaining dough lengthwise into strips.
5. Stuff each cooled pear with chopped chocolate, and place a circle of puff pastry on the bottom of the pear to seal the chocolate in. Tightly wrap the pear in puff pastry strips up to the stem. Place assembled pears in the freezer for 15 minutes before baking to set the puff pastry.
6. Brush pastries with egg wash. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
7. Drizzle with caramel sauce, and serve warm for a molten chocolate center.