Sourdough starter Directions:
1) In a bowl combine all ingredients, cover with plastic wrap. Let stand in a warm place for 3 days, stirring down dough once a day. Starter should be foamy. If not used immediately, store covered in fridge. Stir every few days.
2) Before using set on counter and allow to come to room temperature. As starter is used, replenish with 1 cup flour and 1 cup warm water for each cup removed.
Directions for English Muffins:
1) In a large mixing bowl, combine starter, sugar, salt, water, milk and butter. Gradually beat in flour until a stiff dough forms.
2) Turn dough onto floured surface and knead in remaining flour until dough is elasticity3, about 8 to 10 min. Knead in raisins. Shape dough into ball and place in greased bowl. Turn dough greased side up. Cover. Let rise in a warm placec until dough has doubled in size, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
3) Punch down dough. Sprinkle cornmeal on bread board. Roll dough 3/8 tp 1/2" thick. Turn dough over to coat both sides with cornmeal. Cut dough into 3" rounds.
4) Preheat griddle on 5, cook 6 to 8 miffins at a time. 20 to 30 min. or until firm and golden brown. Turn every 10 min. Repeat with remaining rounds. Serve split and toasted.