3 Lb ground beef
3 C chopped onions
6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 C chili powder
2 x 14.5 ounce cans beef broth
1 C canned crushed tomatoes with added puree
1/2 C stout or dark beer
2 T minced canned chipotle chilies
2 T yellow cornmeal
2 x 15.5 ounce cans black beans, drained, rinsed
1 1/2 C sour cream
2 T fresh lime juice
1 T grated lime peel
Corn tortilla chips
1) Heat heavy large pot over high heat.
2) Add beef; sauté until cooked through, breaking up meat with spoon, about 8 minutes. Transfer to large bowl.
3) Add onions and garlic to same pot. Sauté until onions are tender, 8 minutes.
4) Add chili powder. Sauté until fragrant, 3 minutes.
5) Add beef, broth, tomatoes, stout and chilies.
6) Cover partially; simmer until chili is thick, stirring often, about 1 hour 10 minutes.
7) Gradually stir cornmeal into chili.
8) Stir in beans. Simmer until heated through.
9) Season generously with salt and pepper.
10) Whisk sour cream, lime juice and lime peel in small bowl. Season with salt.
Spoon chili into bowls. Spoon lime crema atop chili. Serve with chips.