Prep Time: 20 mins - Cook Time: 1 hour +/- Yield: 1-quart
For the Soffritto
3/4 C EVOO
1 lg onion, finely diced
2 medium carrots, finely diced
2 medium inner stalks celery, finely diced
For Mushroom Ragu
4 oz Dried Porcini Mushrooms
1 T EVOO
8 oz mixed mushrooms (crimini, oyster, baby bells), cleaned and sliced or chopped (not too fine).
1 clove garlic, minced (make a salt paste---best).
1 tsp fresh sage, finely chopped
1 sprig fresh thyme (more is good)!
1 T tomato paste - good kind, don't skimp!
1 T all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1/2 c dry white wine
1 1/4 c beef or veggie stock, more if needed
1. Heat oil in large dutch oven (or saucepan) over med-hi heat.
2. Add onions, carrots and celery (BTW: use a Cuisinart to chop all veg).
3. Reduce heat to medium low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the veg are golden brown and start to caramelize, about 30-40 mins.
4. Transfer cooked soffritto to a clean jar and set aside.
For Mushroom Ragu:
1. Add driec porcini to medium bowl, top with 2 c boiling water and let soak for 20 mins.
2. Remove from bowl, reserving liquid.
3. Finely chop and set aside.
4. Heat 1 T EVOO in dutch oven (saute pan or heavy-bottomed skillet) over med-hi heat.
5. Add fresh mushrooms and sauté, stirring occasionally, till they start to caramelize, about 5-6 mins +/-
6. Reduce heat to medium, add reserved chopped porcini, garlic, sage and thyme and continue to cook for another min or 3....
7. Stir in a 1/4 c soffritto, tomato paste, flour, salt and pepper and continue to cook for another 2-5 mins.
8. Add the wine, scraping up any bits on bottom of pan, cook until wine has reduced by 3/4, another 3-5 mins.
9. Stir in reserved porcini soaking liquid and beef or veggie stock, bring to simmer, reduce heat to low and cook uncovered until the sauce is thickened and flavors have melded, about 35-40 mins.
10. If sauce too thick, add stock---too thin add more soffritto, spoon at a time.
11. Adjust seasonings.
12. Cook and can.