1 lb Italian sausage
1 lb ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
3 - 4 garlic cloves, minced
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
2 (15 oz) cans tomato sauce
2 (6 oz) cans tomato paste
2 cups water
3 tsp basil
2 tsp dried parsley flakes
1 1/2 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1/4 - 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp coarse ground black pepper
1/4 cup red wine (a good Cabernet)
1 lb thin or angel hair spaghetti
1. In large, heavy stockpot, brown ground beef and Italian sausage, drain.
2. Add onions and continue to cook, stirring occasionally until onions are softened.
3. Add garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce and water.
4. Add basil, parsley, brown sugar, salt crushed red pepper and black pepper.
5. Stir well and barely bring to a boil.
6. Stir in red wine.
7. Simmer on low stirring frequently for at least an hour. A longer simmer makes for a better sauce. Just be careful not to let it burn.
8. Serve over your favorite type of spaghetti.