1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the softened butter or margarine & sugar until light & fluffy.
3. Add the pumpkin puree and molasses, mixing until well incorporated.
4. I like to combine the flour, baking soda and spices with a whisk before adding to the butter mixture.
5. Do not over mix.
6. Using a 1½" cookie scoop, place the dough directly into the sugar. Roll into balls, coating well with sugar
7. Place onto a cookie sheet about 2" apart as they will spread.
8. Bake for approximately 10-12 minutes. You will see them start to form the cracks on top.
9. They will still be soft so let them cool on the cookie sheet until they firm up a bit
10. Using a spatula, remove to a cooling rack to finish setting.