For the Chicken and Broth:
1 whole chicken (cut into several large pieces) or 2 chicken quarters and 2 boneless, skinless breasts
2 bay leaves
1 1/2 Tbsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup flour
For the Dumplings:
2 cups flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
milk, enough to make a soft dough
* Preheat oven to 350º
* Trim excess fat off of the chicken or chicken pieces.
* Place chicken in a soup pot and cover with water.
* Add bay leaves and salt and pepper.
* Bring the water to a boil and then reduce to a simmer, with the lid tilted over the pot.
* Cook the chicken until cooked through, about 45-50 minutes.
* Turn off the heat and remove the chicken from the soup pot with tongs onto a plate. Leave chicken broth in the soup pot. You should have about 4-5 cups of broth. If you have more than that pour some out.
* Let the chicken cool until you can handle it.
* When cool enough, remove all skin, fat and bones from all pieces of chicken and shred each piece or cut into bite size pieces. Place the chicken on a plate and set aside.
* In a medium/large bowl, add the flour, baking powder, salt and eggs.
* Mix well and then add milk, about 1/4 of a cup at a time just to make a soft dough. It will be sticky.
* Turn the heat back on the soup pot and bring the broth to a boil.
* Add the chicken into the broth.
* In a coffee cup, add 1/2 cup flour and a little water in order to make a soft paste. Mix well.
* Thicken the chicken broth with the flour paste and whisk to break up any flour lumps.It will resemble a gravy. Check the gravy for seasoning and add more salt and pepper if needed. Remove the bay leaves.
* When the broth has thickened, use a tablespoon to drop the dumplings into the broth. The dough will come off the spoon quite easily with a little shake.
* Turn the heat to medium-low and stir the dumplings occasionally so they don't stick to the bottom of the pot.
* Cook the dumplings at a simmer for 5-8 minutes. As they cook, they will float to the top.
* Remove from the soup pot from the stove and put the lid on.
* Place the soup pot in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes.
* Remove the soup pot from the oven and ladle dumplings, chicken and gravy into bowls. Enjoy!