350g butternut squash, peeled and cut up into cubes
2 ½ C self-raising flour (can make self-raising flour by adding 1C flour, 1 ½ t baking powder, ½ t salt)
1 C mature Cheddar, grated (Parmesan or gruyere or mix of two)
½ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
4T finely chopped herbs (rosemary, basil, thyme)
½ C buttermilk
1 egg yolk
Preheat the oven to 400º F
1) Steam the butternut in a metal basket or sieve over boiling water (lid on). Cook for 10 – 15 minutes until soft. Set aside to cool and dry off in the air. Blend in a food processor or with an immersion blender until smooth (you could also mash by hand using a potato masher)
2) Mix the flour, cheese, herbs, salt and pepper in a bowl.
3) Add the buttermilk and butternut puree to the dry mixture and lightly mix it until it is just combined.
Turn the mixture out onto a lightly floured surface and knead slightly to form a dough.
4) Press the dough down to about 4-5cm (1.5 to 2.0 inches) and cut the scones using a 5 – 6 cm (2 inch) cookie cutter and place on a baking sheet lined with silicone or baking paper.
5) Mix the egg yolk and extra buttermilk together and brush the tops of the scones (NOT the sides)
Bake in the oven for 20 - 25 minutes until golden brown.