2 1/4 cups (11.25 Oz - AP Flour)
13 T unsalted butter (1/4 " pieces)
3 1/2 T sugar
1 tsp salt
4 1/2 T ice water
1 T cinnamon
1 large egg, slightly beaten
1/4 cup water
2 T unsalted butter
1 1/2 Lb granny smith apples
(Peeled, cored , 1/4 inch pieces)
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1) Pastry: Mix flour , butter 1 ½ tsp sugar and salt and beat at low speed until mix resembles coarse meal. Add ice water and mix until dough begins to come together, about 1 minute, adding water 1 Tb at a time as needed. Divide dough in half, shape into 4 inch square, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour. Combine cinnamon and remaining 3 Tb of sugar and set aside.
2) Filling: Combine water and cornstarch in a small bowl. Melt butter in a 12 inch skillet over medium high heat. Add apples and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the cornstarch mix and cook , stirring frequently until the sauce thickens, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to bowl and let cool completely, about 30 minutes.
3) Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment. Roll 1 square of dough into a 12 by 8 inch rectangle, 1/4 inch thick, on a lightly floured counter. Spread evenly with apple mixture.
4) Roll remaining dough into a 12 by 8 inch rectangle. Using fluted pastry wheel, cut dough into 16 strips 12" by ½". Arrange dough strips diagonally in lattice pattern over filling trimming as needed.
5) Cut into 24, 2 inch squares, brush tops with egg and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mix. Space cookies 1 inch apart on prepared sheets. Bake cookies one sheet at a time, until golden , 30 to 35 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through baking. Refrigerate second sheet while first is baking. Let cookies cool completely on sheets. They can be stored at room temp for up to 2 days.