5 1/3 C bread flour , divided , plus more for the surface
1 C heavy cream
1/3 cup mild honey
3 T nonfat dry milk powder ( If you don't have just use milk instead of water for step 1)
3 T active dry yeast. (From about 3 envelopes)
2 T Kosher salt
3 Large eggs , divided
4 T unsalted butter , cut into pieces (at room temp)
Nonstick vegetable oil spray
Flaky Sea Salt
1) Cook 1/3 cup flour and 1 cup water in a small saucepan over medium heat, whisking constantly, until a thick paste forms (Almost like a roux but looser), - takes about 5 minutes. Add the cream and honey and cook, whisking to blend until the honey dissolves.
2) Transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook and add milk powder, yeast, kosher salt, 2 eggs and 5 remaining cups of flour. Knead on medium speed until dough is smooth (about 5 minutes). Add butter a piece at a time, fully incorporating into the dough before adding the next piece. When finished the dough should be smooth, shiny and elastic. This will take about 4 minutes.
3) Coat a large bowl with non-stick spray and transfer the dough, turning to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm, draft free place until doubled (about 1 hour)
4) If making rolls, lightly coat a 6 well jumbo muffin pan with nonstick spray. Turn out dough onto a floured surface and divide into 6 pieces. Divide each piece into 4 smaller pieces. No need to be exact , just eyeball them. Place 4 pieces side by side into each well of the muffin pan. Cover with plastic wrap.
5) If making loaves, lightly coat two 9" X 5" loaf pans with nonstick spray. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and divide into 12 pieces. Nestle 6 pieces side by side to create two rows of 3 down the length of each pan.Cover with plastic wrap.
6) If making split-top buns, lightly coat two 9" X 13" baking dishes with nonstick spray. Divide dough into 12 pieces and shape each piece into a 4 inch long log. Place 6 logs in a row down the length of each dish.Cover with plastic wrap. After rising, slice each bun down the middle deep enough to create a split top.
7) Let the shaped dough rise in a warm , draft free place until doubled in size (dough should be just puffing over the top of the pan). This will take about 1 hour.
8) Preheat oven to 375º F. Beat remaining egg with 1 tsp water in a small bowl to blend. Brush top of dough with egg wash and sprinkle with sea salt, if desired. Bake rotating pan half way through, until bread is deep golden brown, starting to pull away from the sides of the pan, and is baked through. (25 to 35 minutes for Rolls, 50 to 60 minutes for the loaf, and 30 to 40 minutes for buns)
Let the baked goods cool slightly in the pan on a wire rack before turning out. Then let cool completely on the wire rack.