1. Mix sugar and spices together and rub the mixture onto the surface of both sides of the salmon. Allow the salmon to stand for at least 1 hour in the refrigerator.
2. Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables. Peel the cucumber and cut into quarters lengthways. Remove the seeds and cut each quarter into 1" pieces.
3. Trim the roots from the green onions and cut down some, but not all of the green part.
4. Put cucumber and green onions into a saucepan along with the butter, lemon juice, dill, parsley and seasonings. Cook over moderate heat for about 10 minutes, or until the cucumber is tender and turning translucent.
5. Put the salmon steak under a preheated moderate broiler and cook about 5-6 minutes.
6. Serve with the cucumber and green onion.
Serve with steamed white rice.
Cooked carrots flavoured with 1 tbsp. butter and 1 tbsp. brown sugar.
Garnish salmon with thinly cut lemon slices.
Cod or haddock is also good with this recipe.