12 Tablespoons unsalted butter (1½ sticks) plus more for greasing springform pan
12 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped (These are available as "chips" too.)
¼ teaspoon salt
6 large eggs, separating yolks and egg whites
1½ cups granulated sugar
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
SWEETENED WHIPPED CREAM:
1 cup heavy or whipping cream
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract or paste
2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
1. Preheat oven to 325º F.
2. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan. Set aside.
3. Place butter and chocolate in a large heatproof bowl and microwave in 30-second increments,
stirring each time, until completely melted. Let cool slightly.
4. Whisk in egg yolks.
5. In a large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add granulated sugar,
and continue beating until glossy stiff peaks form. (approximately 8-10 minutes).
6. Whisk ¼ of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture; then gradually fold in the remaining
egg whites, until evenly combined.
7. Pour into prepared springform pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
8. Place on the middle rack of the preheated oven and bake until toothpick inserted in center
comes out wet, but not gooey. (About 1 hour and 25 minutes.)
9. Cool completely on a wire rack; remove sides of pan when ready to serve. Dust with
confectioners' sugar. Serve at room temperature with sweetened whipped cream.*
* SWEETENED WHIP CREAM:
1. Beat the cream and vanilla in a chilled bowl with a whisk or electric mixer just until they hold
a loose peak. Sift the sugar over the cream and continue to beat just until it holds a soft peak.
Take care not to over beat the cream or it will look curdy. Serve or refrigerate covered for uo
to 4 hours. Makes 2½ cups, about 10 servings.