1. Combine and process the flour, sugar, salt together in a food processor, until well blended.
2. Scatter the shortening over the top of the mix, & process about 10 seconds or until mixture
3. Repeat scattering and processing the butter into the mixture, about 10 pulses.
4. Sprinkle 4 Tablespoons ice water over the mixture. Use a stiff rubber spatula to stir the
dough until it sticks together. You may need to add the remaining water, 1 Tablespoon at
at time, until it does.
5. Turn dough out onto a sheet of plastic wrap and flatten it into a 4-inch disk. Wrap dough
tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour.
6. Before rolling dough out, let it set on the counter to soften slightly, approximately 10 minutes.
7. Lay dough out on a lightly floured surface and roll the dough outward from the center, into a
12-inch circle. Be sure to keep bottom of dough lightly floured by tossing flour underneath the
8. Wrap/roll dough around the rolling pin , then gently unroll it over the 9-inch pie pan. Gently
press dough into the pie pan, letting the excess hang over the pan. Tuck excess underneath
itself to form edge. Flute with your fingers or use a fork for a ridged edge.
9. For baked single pie crust, preheat oven to 450º F.
10. Prick bottom and sides of crust with a fork. Bake 8-10 minutes.