Chocolate Strawberry Cake:
1 box chocolate cake mix
1/2 C. oil or melted butter
1 C. sour cream
Chocolate Ganache (optional):
1 C. chocolate chips, I prefer semi-sweet
1/2 C. heavy whipping cream
Cream Cheese Frosting:
8 oz. cream cheese
1/2 C. butter, softened
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2-4 C. powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
2. In a large bowl, sift in cake mix to remove any lumps. Add eggs, oil, sour cream and stir until combined well.
3. Cut the stems off the strawberries and then toss the berries into a blender to puree. Add puree to cake batter and stir in.
4. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 15-20 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
5. Let cool.
6. Chocolate Ganache: In a microwave proof bowl, place chocolate chips and heavy whipping cream. Microwave for 40 seconds and then in 10 second increments stirring in between. Stir until smooth. (You want to be careful to not burn the chocolate, every microwave is different so be careful. If your bowl gets REALLY hot, use a different bowl next time because bowl that get really hot aren't good for microwaving :)
7. Dip the tops of your cooled cupcakes into the ganache and let set.
8. Cream Cheese Frosting: In a stand mixer, beat cream cheese and butter together. Add vanilla extract and then slowly add in powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. Pipe over your ganache once it has set and if firm and top with fresh strawberries!