1 lb. Italian Sausage
1 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
5 cups beef broth
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup dry red wine
2 cups chopped tomatoes
3 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup thinly sliced carrots (about 3)
1/2 tsp basil leaves
1/2 tsp oregano leaves
8 ounce can tomato sauce
1 1/2 cup sliced zucchini
8 ounces (2 cups) frozen cheese tortellini
Grated parmesan cheese
1. Remove casing from Italian sausage (or squeeze out) and brown sausage in a dutch oven or large soup pot. Reserve 1 tbsp of the drippings.
2. Sauté onion and garlic in reserved drippings.
3. Add broth, water, wine, tomatoes, carrots, basil, oregano, tomato sauce and sausage to onions and garlic. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, uncovered.
4. Stir in zucchini, tortellini, green bell pepper and parsley. Simmer covered an additional 15 minutes until tortellini are tender.
5. Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.
6. Serve with sourdough bread.