Note: The following directions are to make one pound of ground lamb in a skillet - to double for a larger crowd, double the recipe and use a WOK to make the meat pie filling, then use a 9 x 13 pan to hold the pie and bake in the oven.
Preheat oven to 375
1. Brown the lamb in a cast iron skillet coated with olive oil over medium heat.
2. When the lamb is fully cooked, remove the meat from the skillet and add the chopped onion and root vegetables (carrot, turnip, parsnips, celery etc - whichever ones you are using).
3. Cook the vegetables in the lamb grease until tender, about 10 minutes.
4. Add the lamb back to the skillet, and stir in the peas (if using) tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, chicken broth and beer.
5. Cook the mixture until reduced by half (it will take a good 15 minutes or so simmering to reduce liquid).
6. If only preparing a single recipe and using a cast iron skillet that is oven safe, you can let it rest while you make either a mashed potato or cauliflower mash topping. If you are preparing a single recipe but do not have a cast iron skillet, transfer to an 8x8 baking pan. If you are doubling the recipe, transfer to a 9 x 13 baking pan.
Prepare the Topping:
7. To prepare the mashed potatoes, boil the potatoes in salted water until tender. If preparing cauliflower mash, steam or microwave cauliflower florets or a bag of cauliflower rice. It will probably take the entire head of cauliflower or bag of cauli rice.
8. Mash potatoes or cauiliflower, and add the cream cheese, sour cream, milk, butter and onion or garlic salt. Beat until fluffy.
9. Spread the mixture over the skillet, or baking pan of meat pie filling.
10. Bake at 375 บ until golden, about 20 minutes. บบบบ