1. Preheat oven to 350º.
2. Start with the crumb mixture. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg.
3. Cute the cold butter into pieces. Add the butter to the bowl and use a fork or pastry blender to cut it into the flour mixture. The mixture should resemble a mouse, coarse meal. Add the slivered almonds and combine thoroughly.
4. Place the still frozen cherries in a bowl, add the remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar, cornstarch and almond extract and gently stir the cherries to combine.
5. Divide the cherries between 8 ramekins (about 1/2 cup each). Top with the crumb mixture, evening out the surface.
6. Bake until the topping is crisp and golden brown, about 45 minutes. If the topping appears underdone, continue baking in 10 minute increments until it is done.
7. To serve: Add the heavy cream and granulated sugar to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and whip. Keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
8. Serve the individual crisps warm or at room temperature with a dollop of freshly whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.