1/2 t apple cider vinegar
6 T non dairy milk
1/2 C fresh or canned, pureed pumpkin
1/4 C cane sugar
3 T unsweetened applesauce
2 T lightly packed brown sugar
2 T melted butter
2 t baking powder
1/4 t baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 t ginger, 1/4 t nutmeg or 1.75 t pumpkin spice
1/2 t kosher salt
1 C all purpose flour
1/2 C whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 C melted butter
1/2 C sugar
1/2 t cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease two mini doughnut pans or two regular sized doughnut pans with Earth Balance (or other butter substitute).
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the vinegar, milk, pumpkin, sugar, applesauce, brown sugar (sift if clumpy), and melted butter or margarine.
3. Sift in in the dry ingredients (baking powder, baking soda, spices, salt, and flours). Mix until just combined.
4. Using a ‘zip-lock’ baggie or pastry bag, spoon the batter into the bag and then secure it with the zip lock or rubber band. Twist the bag slightly and then cut off a hole at the corner to ‘pipe’ out the batter. Pipe the dough around the circle and gently flatten down with slightly wet fingers to smooth. Repeat.
5. Bake for 10-12 minutes at 350F or until they gently spring back when touched. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before carefully using a butter knife to remove. Place on cooling rack for another 10-15 minutes.
6. Cinnamon Sugar: Melt margarine or butter in a small bowl and dip the cooled doughnuts into butter one at a time. Transfer the dipped doughnut into a bag with the cinnamon sugar and shake until coated thoroughly. Doughnuts keep for 2-3 days.