1 large (3/4 lb.) sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
1½ lbs. boneless, skinless, chicken thighs, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 medium sweet onion, cut into 1½-inch chunks and layers separated
7 (12-inch) bamboo skewers (soak in water for 30 minutes prior to use)
Spice Mix + Glaze
2 tsp. garlic salt
2 tsp. chili powder
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. paprika
¼ tsp. crushed red pepper
6 Tbsp. honey
2 tsp. cider vinegar
1. Boil potato pieces in a small saucepan with just enough water to cover the tops; cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, partially covered, until potatoes are nearly cooked but still a bit firm. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
2. While the potatoes are cooling, prepare the spice mix + glaze by mixing together the garlic salt, chili powder, salt, pepper, cumin, paprika and crushed red pepper. In a separate bowl, combine the honey and cider vinegar. Set aside.
3. Add chicken to a medium bowl; drizzle lightly with olive oil and toss with half of the spice rub. Do the same with cooled potato pieces and sweet onion chunks; drizzle with olive oil and toss with remaining spice rub.
4. Thread the chicken, sweet potato, and onion onto the soaked skewers.
5. Grill on medium high for 8 minutes, turning frequently, or until chicken juices run clear while brushing the skewers with the prepared honey glaze; serve immediately.