1 lb. ground Italian sausage
1 medium onion, chopped
3-4 med carrots, chopped
4 stalks celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups (about 1 lb) lentils, rinsed
8-10 cups water and 8-10 tsp chicken bullion OR 8-10 cups broth (depending on how soupy you want it)
1 can diced tomatoes, with juice (15.6 oz can or 28 oz can- you choose how tomato-ie you want it)
½ tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
Salt and pepper
bag of fresh spinach (at least 10 oz) OR 1 bunch kale, chopped
1. Cook sausage in a large dutch oven or stock pot until browned. Break into small pieces while cooking.
2. Add onions, carrots, and celery to sausage. Cook, stirring often, until onions are soft and translucent.
3. Add garlic, stir constantly for 30 seconds or until garlic is fragrant.
4. Add lentils, liquid, bullion (if using), can of tomatoes, cayenne, paprika, cumin, oregano, and 1/2 tsp salt.
5. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer. Put lid on pot and simmer on low for about 30 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
6. Add spinach, cover, and cook until spinach is wilted (1-2 minutes). (If using Kale, add it when the lentils are almost done but not quite, and cook for about 10 additional minutes.)
7. Season with salt and pepper to taste