1. In large pot over medium heat, warm olive oil and butter until butter has melted. Add onions and saute until translucent-10 minutes.
2. Add flour, salt, pepper and turmeric. Stir constantly for 3 minutes.
3. Add vegetable broth and stir well. Add potatoes and over medium heat, bring to a boil, then reduce to low. Simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Add the corn and cook for 5 minutes or until corn is heated through and the consistency of the soup has thickened slightly.
5. Transfer half of the soup about 5 cups to a large bowl and let cool. Puree in blender. Add the puree back to the soup pot and return to a simmer.
6. Stir in Half/Half and the cheese, then cook for about 5 more minutes.
7. Season to taste with additional Salt and Pepper..
8. Ladle into bowls and top with Bacon pieces or additional cheese or chives.