• How can I keep the bottom crust from getting soggy?
Follow these tips when baking a filled pie:
• Use a glass or dull metal pie pan. Avoid shiny metal or disposable aluminum pans, which reflect heat and prevent crusts from browning.
• For a two-crust pie, brush the bottom crust with egg white before filling.
• For a one-crust filled pie, such as pumpkin or custard, pre-bake the crust for three to five minutes. To avoid handling the hot pie pan, carefully add the filling with the pie pan still on the oven rack.
• Bake the pie on the lowest oven rack.
• Bake the pie on a preheated cookie sheet.
• Use a cooling rack after baking.