1. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until thick. Gradually add granulated sugar,
beating until light.
2. Slowly stir in cognac and rum. Add 1 1/2quarts of cream and about half of
the egg whites, beating until very well combined.
3. Beat remaining egg whites until foamy. Gradually add confectioner’s sugar,
beating well after each addition. Continue beating until soft peaks form
when beater is slowly raised.
4. Gently stir egg whites and remaining cream into egg-yolk mixture.
5. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve. I top each serving with fresh
6. Makes about 3 ˝ quarts.