1. In med sized bowl, beat together eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and salt.
2. Trim crust from bread and slice into 8 thick slices.
3. Pour half of egg mixture into 9x13 shallow pan.
4. Arrange bread slices in a single layer in the pan.
5. Pour remaining egg mixture over bread slices.
6. Set aside and allow bread to absorb all liquid, about 15-20 minutes *OR* cover, and put in fridge overnight.
7. Heat oven to 200ºF. and place an oven-safe plate in oven.
8. In a large non-stick skillet, heat a t. oil. Fry bread slices, one at a time until golden on each side, removing to the pan in the warm oven and all pieces are done.